Frequently Asked Questions
- What exactly is Lifeboat Shipping?
- Why should I trust Lifeboat Shipping with my items?
- Why do I need a package forwarding service?
- What is form 1583? Do I need to fill that out?
- How do I fill out and submit the 1583 form?
- When I track my package it says delivered but I don't see it in my account. What happened?
- How long can I keep packages in my account?
- What is Package Consolidation? Why would I do that?
- What size box do you use for Package Consolidation?
- What are the limitations of a Basic Account?
- What is brown paper wrapping? Why would I want that?
- Why would I want to get a package inspected? How do I do that?
- The shopping cart isn't showing me the shipping options I want. What do I do?
- Why don't I see DHL rates in my shopping cart?
- Is my package insured? How do I file a claim?
- How do I ship to US territories?
- Can I use my own shipping labels or use third party shipping accounts?
- Can I store packages with you and use a freight service to ship them out?
Lifeboat Shipping is here to help you purchase products from US stores, and have them shipped to you as economically as possible. To put it simply, Lifeboat is a package forwarding and consolidation service.
Lifeboat has been in business since 2003, for more than 10 years now. The company began as a platform to sell limited edition move merchandise, and did so for 11 years, doing business as Secret Compass. Along the way, Secret Compass became...
There are several reasons why you might want to use package forwarding. The main reason is that many US online stores will not ship overseas.
As a registered commercial mail receiving agency (CMRA), we are legally required by the United States Postal Service (USPS) to provide and retain copies of your Form 1583. This form needs to be notarized and sent to us at the mailing address located
It's easy! This form looks confusing but it is not. Just follow our simple instructions.
Please allow 1-2 business days for your package to be entered into your account.
As long as you are regularly shipping from your Lifeboat account, you can keep packages in the Lifeboat warehouse as long as you want.
Consolidation is combining multiple packages into one package. This saves shipping costs by reducing the amount of shipping labels that must be created.
That depends on how many packages you want to consolidate. We will always use the smallest box possible, up to the maximum box size of 22x16x12. At your request we can use our oversized box, but this may have shipping restrictions.
With the basic account you are limited to 1/4 pallet (1.46 square meters) or space. If you need more space, there are options for you...
If you select this when adding a package to your cart, we will wrap your package with heavy brown paper and a LOT of tape. The main reason for this is security while your package is being transported.
Package inspection is useful in case you need to return your order. It is much easier to make a return to a USA merchant from the USA, rather than dealing with shipping internationally.
Depending on the dimensions of your package, some shipping options may not show in the shopping cart. Please contact us for additional options.
DHL requires that the maximum length for the "state" portion is 10 characters. If you type in the first 10 letters of your state and leave it at that, you can use DHL, and your package will arrive just fine!
Yes, insurance is included for free to Lifeboat subscribers. If your package is lost in shipping or arrives damaged, please contact us to go about filing a claim.
If you wish to use USPS, set the country in your address as United States, and select your territory in the States list. To use the other couriers, you'll need to enter your territory in the country field.
No, we do not support this. You must ship using the Lifeboatshipping.com checkout process.
You can do this, but monthly storage fees are higher and you will need to pay for labor and administration time to set up your freight shipment.